A growing family church bringing Life to the community
- We believe Church is not simply an event you attend but a community of people living out the life of Christ, for his cause, in our homes, our workplaces, in the community, and everywhere people gather; such as clubs, sporting venues, and our beaches.
- We are a community and part of the community.
- We gather on Sundays and Thursdays, Wednesday evenings for our Hope Fellowship, all at Herarde Street Church, and monthly at St Nicholas Nelligen.
- Whether you’re single, a couple, have kids, of any ethnic group, down on your luck, you are welcome.
- We are blessed to have a committed group of Aboriginal members from our local community as part of us and work closely with the Boomerang Centre at Mogo.
- People from our Hope community contribute and enrich our lives every day.
- There is a place in our church for you.
- This is a safe place to explore the amazing message of Jesus.
Scriptures that shape us
Romans 8:14. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children. (NLT)
Isaiah 62: 12 … we shall be known as The Redeemed of the Lord, and we shall be called the Sought After of a City Not Forsaken… (paraphrased)
Micah 4:1-2 In days to come the mountain of the Lord’s house shall be established … peoples shall stream to it, … many shall come and say: Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths, for from there shall come forth the word of the Lord. (paraphrased)
John 10:10 Jesus said: I have come that you may have life and have it abundantly. (NRSV)
Luke 4:18 Jesus said: The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see that the oppressed will be set free, and that the time of the Lord’s favour has come. (NLT)
Romans 8:18 The creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the children of God. (NRSV)
Matt 6:10 Your Kingdom come your will be done on earth as it is in heaven (NLT)
Ephesians 3:10-11 God’s purpose in all this was to use the church to display his wisdom in its rich variety to all the unseen rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. This was his eternal plan, which he carried out through Christ Jesus our Lord. (NLT)
Rev Doug and Julie Newman
The Reverend Doug Newman and his wife Julie joined Batemans Bay in December 2017 when Doug became Rector of the Parish.
Doug and Julie have three adult sons, two daughter-in-laws and three grandchildren, all living in Canberra. Doug and Julie feel strongly called and have purchased a home in Surf Beach. Doug has a diverse background with a career in the Air Force before being a Public Servant and then Consultant in Canberra. His ministry has included extensive lay and ordained leadership in the Anglican Cursillo Movement and in Kairos Prison ministry prior to being appointed as Rector of St Paul’s Ginninderra in Spence ACT. St Pauls developed an extensive Food Pantry ministry during his tenure as Rector. Julie has also led in Cursillo and Kairos and is a team member and leader in the Fruit of the Spirit Women’s Ministry (FOTSWM). FOTSWM is an ecumenical ministry of encouragement to women within the church, and from time to time runs Women’s Retreats.
Doug and Julie have a passion to see the local church working together in unity (Ephesians 3: 10 – 11) and believe that we are called to work into a local context that the Kingdom of God might be increasingly visible in Batemans Bay. We are excited by what we have seen so far, and look for the opportunities to focus and expand our relationships within the parish congregations, with the wider church, and into our new local community.
Doug enjoys Family History research and Julie is creative and artistic with a dedicated art room.